Difficulty Unstaking/High gas fees

I recently attempted to unstake some of my tokens. While attempting to do this, the estimated gas fee was extremely high. In order to avoid exorbitant fees, i reduced Gwei to what I considered an acceptable level. This resulted in a problem of my transaction remaining in a pending status for about 10 days. I tried speeding it up, incurring gas fees of up to US$50.00 (estimated). Eventually, I tried replacing the transaction, following the instructions found in Metamask support, as well as suggestions from peers more expert than myself in these types of transactions. I learned that I needed to create a custom nonce on the replacement transaction. I remembered I had done this before, but could not recall the exact steps to do it. I finally figured out (through help) that I needed to go one more step. The place to create a custom nonce is in the confirmation step, not the first step, or in advanced settings. Once that was done, the transaction cleared up and I was able to move forward.
I realize this is somewhat verbose, and not detailed. If you are having a similar problem, feel free to contact me for more complete details.